Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Trip to Nairobi.

Its Friday 15 th February at 11:45 pm.I am in Nairobi seated at the scandinavia office waiting for the next day to jump onto the next bus to my final destination which is Dares Salaam.
My other three colleagues that I have travelled with have checked into marble hotel and I have opted not spend a night at the bus offices.Not that I donot have money like it used to be on my earlier trips but its because of the images that keep flashing in my mind of burnt houses and hundreds of people who were left homeless due to the political unrest in kenya.

From Eldoret,Burnt forest and molo hundreds of people are treking to find a place to sleep,others are stranded on the road side waiting for a good samaritan to give them a lift to where?No one knows.

Burnt forest and molo are dry places with a sparse population.I did not see many shops or trade centres,places to dram water so I kept wondering how the people around those places survive.But just like any one who doesnot have many options they alwayts find their way out.
For those of us who think that we are suffering because we donot have school fees,cant afford to buy meat for their family,stop complaining because there are people who have no place to stay,food,money and donot even know what to do and where to start from.

It’s now Midnight,I have more six hours to embark on the journry to do.What will I do in these six hours ,read the richest man in babylon,take some power naps or even strike a conversation with my neighbour!
12:15 am I look for the Richest Man In Babylon,a book I had just bought and couldnot find it.I searched all my luggage and it was no where to find.Ok this now reduces on my to do list for tonight.

12:35 am, the power short circuits and every one rushes out of the scandinavia booking office/bedroom/Lodge where people are sleeping.The Mum’s were looking for their kids and the kids looking for their mums all screaming Mummy………..,mummy,mummy,son,daughter………….. Son, looking very traumatised.
Great!i exclaimed ,I have just lost my book,power has gone off and have not gone to sleep in the hotel with My friends.How bad will it get?Will find out tommorrow.

NEXT DAY.16/02/2008.
Its 4:30 am and every one cannot pretend to be sleeping any one.The seats/beds are very hard,its freaking cold and my closest neighbour is snoring just like a lion trapped in a cage.We are looked in the place and cannot get out.All the people are so bored,pissed off and sleepy with nothing to do.Ok,I have an idea of what we can do.How about watching Prison Break I ask My neighbour ,”what have you been waiting for”?, he replies. Pulled out my laptop and started watching.

6:00 am, laptop battery runs low in the middle of a very interesting scene when scoffield is mid way his recent escape attempt from sona.

No comments: